cultur-al feedback Re: biotech steaks without killing or harming animals? Re: ...cell cultures

Eric Silber silber at orfeo.Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Feb 15 18:57:49 EST 1995

Well after my original posting , it was pointed out to me that such a project
would be impractical because it was more less like trying to grow an organized,
isolated tissue in-vitro ( i.e. the endocrine environment, the
vascularization, and the this and the that
are not there in-vitro).

That all seems plausible to me, but if fermentation
can be scaled-up , why not mammalian cell culture? Is it , in fact the same
answer as in the previous paragraph?

If mammalian cell-culture could be scaled up, then maybe we couldn't
grow 'steaks' in-vitro, but maybe some kind of artificial tissues
derived from a mammalian cell line, but not from cutting up a mammal.

----- previous stuff -----