RT-activity of Taq polymerase, HELP!!!!

Klaus Salger salger at wap18.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Feb 15 17:29:58 EST 1995

Jorge.Hernandez at bota.unine.ch wrote:
: Hello netters!
: When analyzing gene expression by RT-PCR (consult Simpson et al., 1992, NAR
: Vol 20, 5861-5862), I obtained positive signals (bands at the expected size)
: in
: PCR (control) reactions without reverse transcription. It seems that Taq
: poly-
: merase in certain conditions can exhibit some RT-activity. Does anyone know
: of references concerning this problem? I use DNAse I treated total RNA
: (soybean) and Super Taq polymerase (P.H. Stehelin & Cie AG, Basel).
: All suggestions would be appreciated.
: Thanks in advance,
: Jorge.
: E-mail: Jorge.hernandez at bota.unine.ch

Jorge,
I know of two references:

Reverse transcription and direct amplification of cellular RNA
transcripts by Taq polymerase.
Tse WT; Forget BG, Gene 88: 293-6 (1990)

Reverse transcription of mRNA by Thermus aquaticus DNA
polymerase.
Jones MD; Foulkes NS, Nucleic Acids Res 17: 8387-8 (1989)

Cheers
  Klaus

--
Klaus Salger                phone : ++49 (0)89 5902 -502
Zoologisches Institut       FAX   :                 -450
AG MacWilliams              e-mail: salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Luisenstr. 14
80333 Muenchen
Germany