isoamyl alcohol

Jim Owens jow at
Wed Feb 15 16:36:36 EST 1995

In article <3ht43v$1ok at> , 4700gbera at
>In article <3hol30$gla at>, burbly at
(Marc A.
>Borbely) writes:
>>i have looked everywhere but can't find an answer:
>>why in the world is isoamyl alcohol used together with phenol and
>>chloroform for extraction of nucleic acids?
>I remember reading somewhere also that it's included to cut down on
>and to make the gunk at the interface more compact. I think it does make
>a difference but it's been a while since I did an extraction without it,
>my memory may be a bit subjective...

I tracked this down about 10 years ago.  It is to improve the interface
so there is less "foam."  The original reference was very old, but I have
forgotten whether it was in the 50's, 40's, 30's or 1920's.  For a
reasonable fee, I could look it up again.  It had nothing to do with
preparation of DNA, if my memory is still any good.

Good luck,

Jim Owens