Strider 1solution +2problems

Mr SMNN Faruque s.faruque at miranda.umds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 07:33:24 EST 1995

: In article <jpcd0-1602951411250001 at macr1-4.welc.cam.ac.uk>,
: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (John Dixon) writes:
: > P.S. BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to deselect enzymes
: > when generating a full restriction map, to avoid the huge stacks of
: > four cutters above the sequence and the enormous list of tiddly
: > fragments in the site analysis below?
:
: The only way I know of doing this is to delete enzymes manually from your
: RE
: data file.  In the same way, you can add new enzymes.
:
: - I tried modifying this file when I had the original problem, using
:   the word processor that it was originally created in, and had problems
:   with Strider crashing. Do you have any hints about how to modify it?
:   e.g. What word processor/editor do you use, and what format do you
:   choose to save it in?

I have problems editing the RE library file.  I just load it into
SimpleText or Teachtext (its predecessor) and edit away. The format goes
like:-

Spe I,      a/ctagt,
Sph I,      gcatg/c,

Taq I,      t/cga,
 (etc)
%%%%%%

; comment comment comment

This could also be done in a word processor such as Word as long as you
save it in plain text (ASCII).

Niggle/Problem
The only problem arises with the fact that I want 2 RE libraries, one for
all the enzymes in the freezer and one for all those we could buy if
needed (ie the NEB one supplied.  I keep these as two files "RE library
NEB" and "RE library -20".  To use one of these erase "RE library", I
duplicate the desired file, rename that duplicate "RE library" and run
Strider.
Were this DOS I could easily write a batch file for it, but I've no idea
how to do this on the MAC.

Big Problem
Whenever I give Strider a file in any of the formats it's supposed to
accept it won't and I end up having to load the file into Simpletext, copy
the sequence And paste it into a new sequence window in Strider.

Any solutions?

Nadeem