[Q] Direct sequencing of lambda templates

George Mayhew mayhew at midgaard.genetics.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 20 11:07:07 EST 1995

Greetings,

In our attempts to sequence the entire E. coli genome, we have used
many varied methods.  Two methods we have not explored yet are direct
sequencing from lambda templates, thus avoiding the extra step of
shotgun M13 libraries, and long range PCR of genomic DNA, with the
intent of directly sequencing the PCR product.

I am curious if anyone has attempted either of these methods and would
be willing to share some of their insights before I invest any time in
altering our current techniques (M13 shotgunning of a large lambda
library).  Any ideas would be very helpful.

Please respond via email, as I do not read these groups very often.

Thanks,
George
---
"People are DNA's way of making more DNA."(Edward O. Wilson, 1975)
\ / \  \ / \  \ / \  \ /   George Mayhew   \ / \  \ / \  \ / \  \
 \  /\  \  /\  \ E. coli Genome Sequencing Project \  /\  \  /\  \
  \/  \__\/  \__\mayhew at midgaard.genetics.wisc.edu__\/  \__\/  \__\

     University of Wisconsin - Madison, Laboratory of Genetics,
  College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and the Medical School
               445 Henry Mall, Madison, WI 53706
            Phone: 608-262-2534    Fax: 608-263-7459
     http://www.genetics.wisc.edu/HTML/STAFF/mayhew/mayhew.html

+++ For my PGP pubkey, finger me at midgaard.genetics.wisc.edu  +++