Gentamicin screening -> blank plates

Michael Deyholos mdeyholo at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Feb 20 10:13:26 EST 1995

Has anyone experienced difficulty while screening transformants for
Gentamicin resistance?  I am trying to transform XL1-Blue with a pCGN1547
derived plasmid, but after plating on LB plates with 20ug/ml Gent, I never
observe any growth.

I realize that there are dozens of trivial explanations for the apparent
failure of the transformation.  However, I was told that sporadic
problems with Gentamicin are common...some people seem to vaguely
remember something about light sensitivity of gent on plates...but they
can't be sure.

Any further information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

reply to :
deyholos at bio1.Lan.McGill.ca