DNA quantification

Mic Chaudoir mic at nwu.edu
Mon Feb 20 18:06:24 EST 1995

AIn article <3hpnth$khk at cbs.ksu.ksu.edu>, sjwhite at ksu.ksu.edu (Susan Jane
White) wrote:

> I'm purifying genomic DNA from a filamentous fungus. I want to know how much
> I have, but I suspect I have too little (or of too bad quality) to get good
> spec readings.

I agree with Chris.  A minigel is necessary to make sure that your DNA
isn't sheared, anyway, so just run a few dilutions and compare to some DNA
standards (we like to use commercial HindIII markers, but whatever floats
your boat).  It's a little less accurate for things like genomic DNA, that
do not usually give a nice sharp band, but it still works OK.

--
mic
mic at nwu.edu

"It [PowerPC Mac] won't have any effect at all on Intel machines.
They will continue to plod along, running the same clunky Windows              and wretched DOS drivel they always have.  The PPC will affect Intel PCs the same way an SR-71 Blackbird affects a dairy cow."
                     Robert Rhode, in comp.sys.mac.advocacy