Gentamycin and G418

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Wed Feb 22 12:59:20 EST 1995

In article <theano.5.2F4B3A78 at gecko.biol.wits.ac.za>,
theano at gecko.biol.wits.ac.za (Theano Markoulides) wrote:

> I recently read that gentamycin and G418 (Geneticin) are quite similar in
> nature. If I am transfecting cells which are growing in a medium containing
> gentamycin and I'm inserting a gene which allows selection with G418 - what
> are the chances that the cells I'm left with are the transfected ones ?

To the best of my knowledge, gentamicin cannot be used to replace G418 in
selecting cells transfected with a plasmid harbouring a neo resistance
gene. In fact, we use gentamicin for controlling bacterial contamination
in some of our tissue culture systems. I would stick with G418 for
selecting your clones.

Cheers

Karl

--