EtBr in agarose gels vs. EtBr staining later

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at
Wed Feb 22 14:13:27 EST 1995

In article <9502221107.aa21779 at> betts at ORION.ETSU.EDU (GORDON BETTS) writes:
>It seems to me there are two options for visualizing DNA in agarose gels:
>run a gel with EtBr in the gel or staining the gel after the run.  What are
>the relative merits of the two methods?

Running a gel with EtBr requires less total EtBr, and it is not so messy.
Also, you don't have to wait those extra five minutes to get your data ;-)
The only problem is that your gelbox will be contaminated with EtBr.

If you stain the gel after the run, your gelbox will stay clean , and you
can reuse the EtBr Solution.

ah690549 at