EtBr in agarose gels vs. EtBr staining later

MCGEED at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU MCGEED at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU
Thu Feb 23 08:16:41 EST 1995

I prefer to stain the gel afterward with EthBr, as I always seem to get crisper
bands.  It only takes 10 min. to stain a small gel and about 30 min to stain a
large gel (0.5ug/ml in both cases).  Yes, the liquid can't be dumped down the
drain (although I know of some labs that do this- naughty, naughty:*)  We
routinely dispose of the liquid by the activated charcoal method described in
Maniatis, which takes maybe an hour to do, using a 5 l glass bottle as the
storage container, until it's full.
	If I'm ever worried about running a gel too long, I'll stop it half
way, stain it and then continue running it and thus I can shine the UV light on
it.

David McGee

David J. McGee
MCGEED at hal.hahnemann.edu

Graduate Student
McPHU (Medical College of Pennsylvania and Hahnemann University)
Center City Campus
15th and Vine Streets
Dept. Microbiology and Immunology M.S. 410
New College Building RM 10302
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Phone: 215-762-8275
Fax: 215-762-1004