Microwave restriction: does it work?

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Feb 23 14:51:10 EST 1995

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de) wrote:

|: Quite a while ago, there was a discussion about restriction digests in the
|: microwave. I do not remember who did the control experiment at RT, but the
|: outcome was, that the reaction worked as fast as in the microwave oven.
|: Probably this enzyme and/or DNA dependent.
|
| Paul Hengen also had an article in his famous TIBS column on this.
| (Don't have the reference, but I bet Paul can fill this in :-)

Yes I can :-) I posted this before, but I think I'm having newsreader
problems again <sigh>...

@article{Hengen1994Dectibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Glowing blue gels and nuked nucleases",
volume = "19",
number = "12",
pages = "556-557",
month = "December",
year = "1994"}

I also found the posting by Charlie Wright where he described the RT test...

%< *snip* --------------------
.
We fiddled with this in our lab a few months ago, and were puzzled but
unimpressed.  We found that with EcoRI, the microwaved tube, room
temperature tube, and 37 degree tube (all for five minutes) were
virtually indistiguishable from one another on a gel.  All cut to completion
(plasmid) and the microwave showed a little degradation).
.
.
C. R. Wright                                    Dept. of Genetics
+44 (0)223 333970 telephone                     Univ. of Cambridge
+44 (0)223 333992 telefax                       Downing Street, Cambs.
cw117 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk                        CB2 3EH, England
.

* - - -  Methods FAQ list -> http://www.ncifcrf.gov:2001/~pnh/info.html - - - *