Ultrasonic ligations??

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 08:06:34 EST 1995

In article <3ie3l8$ab9 at server.st.usm.edu>, Glen Shearer
<gshearer at whale.st.usm.edu> wrote:

> I recently heard someone mention that ligations done in tubes placed
> in an ultrasonic cleaner work much faster than the typical overnights;
> e.g., 15 min for blunt ligations.
> Anybody have first hand experience with this?
> thanks for the info

Sound like more of the microwave-restriction-enzyme typeexperiments.
I've done sticky-end ligations for 15 mins RT, and blunts for 1hr RT for years.
It works really well, and you don't need to put them in the ultrasonic cleaner.
(FWIW I use NEB ligase.  Always.)

Maybe someone with an ultrasonic bath could do the comparison for us with
RT alone,
O/N at low temp and in the bath.

My bet is that, as with the microwave experiment just reposted, the RT
reaction will
look just as good as the ultrasonic one.

Tennis Court Road,
Cambridge CB2 1QR             Fruit flies like a banana.
Tel: [+44] (0)223 334129      Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fax: [+44] (0)223 334089