Protein purification: iodoacetic acid -does it stuff up cysteines

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Fri Feb 24 15:49:20 EST 1995

Orak (Ross.Thomas at med.monash.edu.au) wrote:
> I have been using iodoacetic acid (IAA) as a protease inhibitor for purifying
> recombinant transcription factors.  However, someone recently told me
> that IAA works by modifying cysteine residues.  Can someone confirm this
> for me?

That's what I have learned when I was still a student. Look up Stryer
or other biochemistry books. The alpha-C in IAA is very poor in electrons,
therefor it easily forms covalent bonds with electron-rich partners,
such as the sulfur in Cys or the N in His. These alkylation reactions
are essentially irreversible.

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */