Low-level B-gal Detection in Mouse Tissues?

Jennifer Schmitt jschmidt at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Mon Jan 2 18:51:20 EST 1995

I am trying to detect B-galactosidase by staining/colorimetric assay in
transgenic mouse tissues (liver, lung, thymus, others) but am getting no
color.  Of course could be these mice are not expressing but barring that I
would not be too surprised if the promoter used is just too weak to drive
detectable expression.

Has anyone experienced this problem and what did you do?  I have ordered a
luminescent B-gal detection kit made by Tropix, has anyone used this kit?  I
am also considering purchasing some B-gal antibodies, anyone have experience
here?  Most seem to be mouse, will this be a problem?

Thanks, Jennifer