HELP!: need DNA extraction from parrafin block method

Michael Leahy leahy at europa.lif.icnet.uk
Wed Jan 4 11:39:33 EST 1995

Do you have experience with a method for DNA extraction from archived
material?  I need to do about 30 PCR markers on formalin fixed / parafin
embedded tissue blocks.  I have two or three 10 micron sections from each
block.  I have seen several methods: some use xylene first to dissolve the
parafin out while others don't bother; some digest in proteinase K for 1
hour some say digest for 5 days! Some say just stick it in a tube and boil
it up for a few minutes then go straight into the PCR. I would really
appreciate hearing from someone who has some experience.  Any data on yield
would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

--
Mike Leahy