rRNA isolation from soil

Karel Wernars lwlkarel at rivm.nl
Thu Jan 5 02:45:47 EST 1995

Dear Netters,

We are interested in developing molecular methods for studying microbial
diversity in soil-ecosystems. Apart from DNA-based techniques we want to
use 16S rRNA, extracted from soil. We have used a procedure involving
guanidium thiocyanate-extrection followed by purification on Qiagen RNeasy
columns, which works fine for cultures. However, applying this on soil
samples has not yielded detectable amounts of RNA.

Is there anyone who could give us suggestions on this topic?
You can send a reaction to this newsgroup or e-mail directly to me.

Thanks,

K. Wernars (lwlkarel at rivm.nl)