mRNA Isolation Kits

John D. Valentich shark at sam.neosoft.com
Sat Jan 7 17:12:09 EST 1995

We are beginning a project requiring isolation of poly(A) RNA from intestinal
mucosa which will be used in Northern analysis.  We have extensive experience
extracting total RNA from tissue culture cells but have not attempted to
isolate mRNA.  We are planning to use the Stratagene Quik mRNA isolation kit,
unless someone suggests a better alternative.  We have been woundering about
the following issues regarding the use of this kit:

1.  Are columns reusable?  If so, for how many purifications?
2.  How should used columns be stored and how are they regenerated?
3.  Does repeated use of a column compromise mRNA recovery efficiency or other
isolation parameters?

For those who have experience with the Stratagene or other  mRNA
purification systems, we would appreciate your insights and suggestions.