Repli-plating bacteria

Gene Holowachuk geneh at USA.NET
Wed Jan 11 16:16:53 EST 1995

>We are looking for an alternative to 'velvets' for repli-plating bacterial
>spread plates. Does anyone currently use or know of a good alternative or a
>commercial apparatus.
>Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ken,
I use a aluminum replicating block (82 mm diameter) and Whatman #1 filters,
15 cm, staight out of the box, and very rarely encounter contamination
problems. I place the whatman #1 on top of a single kimwipe on the
replicator and clamp it on the replicator with an aluminum ring (3/4
around). Usually can do about 5 plates on average per filter.
Cheers, Gene :-)

**  Gene Holowachuk                |  Voice: 607/547-3937                **
**  Research Institute             |  Fax  : 607/547-3061 (attn Gene H)  **
**  Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital  |  email: geneh at research.mibh.org     **
**  One Atwell Road                |       : geneh at usa.net               **
**  Cooperstown, NY 13326          |       : geneh at cscns.com             **