APOPTOSIS ASSAYS

David Voehringer ylek at utmdacc.uth.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 11 12:18:04 EST 1995

In article <3euhn5$du8 at emerald.tufts.edu> kpfarr at emerald.tufts.edu (DNA Rules!) writes:
>From: kpfarr at emerald.tufts.edu (DNA Rules!)
>Subject: Re: APOPTOSIS ASSAYS
>Date: 10 Jan 1995 12:55:49 -0500

>Shahram Mori (smori at nmsu.edu) wrote:

>: I think Electromicroscopical assays are the best way to go. As a couple of
>: German scientists showed Apoptosis doesn't necessarily require DNA
>: fragmentation.

>: memb blebbing.
>: nucleus condensation.

>:  --
>: Shahram Mori                                     _/\_
>: Program in Molecular Biology                    _\  /_
>: Dept. of chemistry and Biochemistry Box 3C      \_  _/
>: NMSU  Las Cruces NM                               ||
>: 88003

>Could you please post or send me the reference for this information.  I
>work in a lab looking at apoptosis.  Our assay utilizes DNA fragmentation
>as one marker for apoptosis.  This article would be very interesting to see.
>Thanks in advance

>Ken Pfarr
>Biology Department
>Tufts Universtiy
>Medford, MA 02155
>email: kpfarr at tufts.edu

I'm not sure of the exact reference but Kerr and Harmon have shown that the
morphology of apoptosis can be obseved without subsequent DNA fragmentation.
Personal experience has taught me that while the presence of "ladders" does
suggest the occurance of apoptosis, the abscence of them by no means indicates
that apoptosis is not occurring or has been blocked.  That is the major flaw
with the TUNEL assay and similar kits sold.

David W. Voehringer
Department of Experimental Radiotherapy
Univ. of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Bvld.
Houston, Tx. 77030
(713) 792-3797