Lambda promoter plasmids

Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 10:36:46 EST 1995

Hi Folks,

I have a query about the stability of lambda promoter expression
plasmids. I have a plasmid with a lambda pl promoter, polylinker then
lambda terminator in that order. Normally I grow it in a cI ts E.coli
or cI+ E.coli. One of my group just changed the polylinker and put it
(without thinking) into a cI minus E.coli. It grows fine! Now I have
always been under the impression that lambda PL was lethal on plasmids
unless the cI repressor was present. Is there any truth to this. I am
checking the map etc of the new construct just in case the promoter has
been deleted. The plasmid is based on pBR322 with Amp not Tet.

Many thanks

Duncan