mRNA Isolation Kits

mmccorm at macc.wisc.edu mmccorm at macc.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 12 23:32:04 EST 1995

In article <shark.20.0011345F at sam.neosoft.com>, shark at sam.neosoft.com
(John D. Valentich) wrote:

> We are beginning a project requiring isolation of poly(A) RNA from intestinal
> mucosa which will be used in Northern analysis.  We have extensive experience
> extracting total RNA from tissue culture cells but have not attempted to
> isolate mRNA.  We are planning to use the Stratagene Quik mRNA isolation kit,
> unless someone suggests a better alternative.  We have been woundering about
> the following issues regarding the use of this kit:
>
> 1.  Are columns reusable?  If so, for how many purifications?
> 2.  How should used columns be stored and how are they regenerated?
> 3.  Does repeated use of a column compromise mRNA recovery efficiency or
other
> isolation parameters?
>
> For those who have experience with the Stratagene or other  mRNA
> purification systems, we would appreciate your insights and suggestions.

I probably should recuse myself from this question since I've been involved with
the development of two mRNA isolation kits at two different companies, but
the most recent kit, The Straight A's mRNA Kit from Novagen, is based on
Oligo (dT) particles which can be re-used at least three times. The
particles can also be treated with NaOH between isolations to eliminate
carry-over. Lysis and Wash buffers are included and available seperately.
E-mail is novatech at macc.wisc.edu or call 800-207-0144.

Mark McCormick
mmccorm at macc.wisc.edu