Peter Friedhoff at
Mon Jan 16 11:08:56 EST 1995

In article <D_henrique-1601950951180001 at>,
D_henrique at says...
>Dear netters
>Can I have the experienced oppinion of someone that uses routinely Pfu
>polymerase for amplifyng products for cloning. Is it worth to prevent
>mistakes in the PCR? I want to use the PCR product for cloning and then
>expression in E.coli and am afraid of mistakes that can result in
>truncated proteins.

You should use in any event a proofreading polymerase (Pfu or Vent or
other). When using Taq you have to use very special condition to reduce
the error rate. Usually I use Pfu-DNA polymerase for site-directed
mutagensis cloning a 700 bp nuclease geneand only very few clones (about
1 out of 20) had a point mutation. If you have very long PCR products (>
5000 bp) you may include Taq in the reaction (Barnes et al. 1994, PNAS,
91, 2216-2220)
Hope that helps for a decision.