cloning concatamers

Slawek Slawek
Mon Jan 16 21:16:01 EST 1995

In article <3fea5k$20j at> szcooley at (Michael Cooley) writes:
>Dr. S. Bhattacharya (sbhattac at wrote:
>: Can anyone guide me to a reference describing how to clone
>: concatemers of an operator site without getting inversions,
>: i.e. all units of the concatemer in the same direction. I
>: need to clone them upstream of a reporter gene for transcription
>: assays. Many thanks
>: Shoumo
>: S Bhattacharya
>: Dana-Farber Cancer Inst.
>: Boston MA

Try following:
1. Clone desired fragment between BamHI and BglII site of a
polylinker.  Sorry, I can't remember a vector with both sites.
Alterantively another pair of six-cutters with compatible sticky
ends could be used (XbaI/SpeI, XhoI/SalI).
2. Digest resulting plasmid with both enzymes.
3. Isolate the fragment with your favorable method.  Ligate
in a very high concentration of DNA.  Digest with both enzymes.
You can ligate the mixture straight to your vector or isolate a
concatamer of the desired size and clone it.  Hope it helps.

slawek at