cracked gels

Richard_Heath heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Sun Jan 15 16:59:33 EST 1995

I think that gels will crack if the vacuum is released *before* the gel has
dried... so make sure that the gel is fully dry before turning off the pump.
Also, I think (!?) that if the pump is not pulling an effective vacuum, this
can cause problems with cracking.  If this is a recurrent problem (i.e. happens
all the time) have the pump checked/cleaned.  If it is only occaisional, then
it may be that you are just not fully drying the gel (or the seal gets jogged
during drying etc).  Make sure that the blotting paper under the gel is good
and clean too.  As to soaking in glycerol - use 10% for about 1 hour after
fixing.  It is supposed to help, but I never bother!

Best of luck!

Richard.