cloning concatemers

Chris Boyd chrisb at festival.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 07:51:00 EST 1995

Shoumo Bhattacharya wrote:

> Can anyone guide me to a reference describing how to clone
> concatemers of an operator site without getting inversions,
> i.e. all units of the concatemer in the same direction.

If your operator site contains one or no AvaI sites, you can try the
method described in the following paper:

@ARTICLE{HARTLEY:1981,
 author = "Hartley, J. L. and Gregori, T. J.",
 title = "{Cloning multiple copies of a DNA segment}",
 journal = {Gene},
 volume = 13,
 pages = "347-353",
 year = 1981,
}

The authors obtained a clone containing 34 repeats of a 123 bp
sequence. From this work you can also deduce how GibcoBRL makes its
1 kb ladder...

Chris Boyd           |       MRC Human Genetics Unit / Western General Hospital
chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk |                Crewe Road / Edinburgh EH4 2XU / Scotland