Viability of cells in PBS? How long?

Mr. P.A. Sansom psansom at
Tue Jan 17 07:26:28 EST 1995

Anyone any ideas how long cell membranes retain their integrity in PBS?
I'm incubating substrate with cells for 1-5 hours and want to know if the
cells are releasing internal contents through permeablised membranes.
I dont want to use medium because it contains things that interfere with
the HPLC detection method.
If any thoughts or suggestions for simple basal medium I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance

psansom at

Paul A Sansom                                  tel: 081-748-9966 x4208
Department of Biochemistry                     fax: 081-748-5090
The Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology
6 Bute Gardens
London W6 7DW