molybdenum inhibit PCR?

Andre Hamel hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 17 18:43:44 EST 1995

Does anybody know concentration of molybdenum that will inhibit PCR?

Molbdenum can have +6 charge!

I've got a danmed feces specimen that contains 10 ppm molybdenum ... DNA
extracted from this specimen is inhibitory down to 1/100 dilution!

DNA looks fine on agarose gel.

I've tried several sequential DNA extractions, alchohol ppt'ns ... on
1/2 of my DNA sample, I've also tried competing the Mo with Lithium
chloride ... no improvement ... likewise with exposure to EGTA and EDTA!

I'm considering chelex for my next attempts to reduce the inhibiting
effects of this crappy (pun intended) DNA!  :^)

Any suggestions?

thanks a bunch,

Andre

  Andre Hamel                      email: hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
  Manitoba Government                         tel: 204/945-7630
  Department of Agriculture                   FAX: 204/945-8062
  Veterinary Services Branch
  Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA