PEG solutions?

Brandon S Johnson johnsbs at mail.auburn.edu
Wed Jan 18 01:22:31 EST 1995

: I recommend filter sterilization (0.2 um filter unit) instead of
: autoclaving, and storing in sterile glass bottles.

: Regarding 50% w/v solutions ... takes a few hours to dissolve. Thus,
: start early in morning ... if stirring overnight, tightly cover opening of
: vessel (erlenmyer flask is preferred)  with clingy plastic (Saran-type) wrap.

: cheers,

I regularly make 50% w/v solutions of PEG 8000 that take no more than 20
minutes to dissolve.  Another 10-15 minutes is required for de-gassing in
a filter flask.  Good luck...

Brandon Johnson

:                             ********************
:   Andre Hamel                      email: hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
:   Manitoba Government                         tel: 204/945-7630
:   Department of Agriculture                   FAX: 204/945-8062
:   Veterinary Services Branch
:   Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA

: In <3fef40$93o at crcnis3.unl.edu> vwarwar at unlinfo.unl.edu (vitor warwar) writes:

: >     Is it fine to autoclave PEG solutions? How is the best
: >way to dissolve PEG (50% w/v).

: >     Vitor Warwar / 406 Plant Sciences Hall / University of Nebraska
: >     Lincoln NE 68593-0722 / USA / vwarwar at unlinfo.unl.edu

--
Brandon Johnson                       Snail-mail: 101 Life Sciences Bldg
E-Mail: johnsbs at mail.auburn.edu                   Auburn Univ, AL  36849