Smooth muscle cell-specific housekeeping genes?

Chung-Ming Hsieh Hsieh at cvlab.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 19 12:38:35 EST 1995

Hi!

I am doing some RNA analyses to study several possible smooth muscle
cell-specific gene expression among different tissues, such as in various
portions of the digestive system and in the cardiovascular system.  Despite
I loaded the same amount of total RNA in Northern analysis, it is hard to
determine how much of the RNA really came out from the smooth muscle cells
in each particular tissue/organ since most tissues are comprised of many
different cell types.

I am wondering if one can find a smooth muscle cell-specific housekeeping
gene and use it as a probe to control the smooth muscle cell RNA proportion
in various tissues.  I have looked into alpha-smooth muscle actin and it is
not expressed at the same level in the digestive system and the vascular system.

The other solution to this is to do in situ hybridization, but that's
another story...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Chung-Ming Hsieh
Hsieh at cvlab.harvard.edu