35-S use in SSCP?

Daniel Kim dkim at nmsu.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:20:30 EST 1995

Hello:

RE use of radioactive tags for SSCP

I have successfully used silver staining for detecting SSCPs as well as
DDRT-PCR products.  There has been no real problem with sensitivity.  You
might want to also consider that the Pharmacia Phast-Gel system uses a silver
stain procedure for their SSCP protocol, so this is not so off the wall.

I use the procedure cited in the Promega Silver Sequence Kit.  You can use
storebought reagents instead of the kit with a great savings of money, just
be sure to buy the best grades of silver and sodium carbonate
(particularly silver).

Daniel Kim
dkim at nmsu.edu