Green Fluo. Prot.

William J. Buikema wjb1 at ellis.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 19 18:33:50 EST 1995

I've got GFP working well in Anabaena cells, a filamentous cyanobacteria.  At
low levels of expression it works well, and can be easily visualized in
a microscope.  Moderate to high level expression is rather toxic, although
it takes the cells a while to die, so that it is possible to see very
brightly fluorescing cells.  I think the toxicity may have something to
do with interference with photosynthesis, but it's just a guess at this
point.

Bill

--
William J. Buikema        Phone: (312)702-1081   e-mail: hetman at uchicago.edu
Dept. Mol. Genet. & Cell Biol.                   /  / --- --- /|/|  /|  /| /