FITC-antibody labeling

fred wouters at chem.ruu.nl
Thu Jan 19 04:50:56 EST 1995

as to the NH4Cl, this is used to quench the unreacted thiocyanate (which
reacts with primary amino groups in proteins) to stop the labeling
reaction. I think the xylene cylanol is added to co-elute with the free
dye so that you can clearly see that you collected the labeled protein
without free dye contamination.
BTW, may I suggest the use of succinymidylesters in stead of thiocyanates
because the reactivity and stability is higher. My favourite probe is Cy3
from Biological Detection Systems (rhodamine type)

Fred