Is Boehringer Mannheim the only supplier of Dig-labellin

Pete Muriana MURIANAP at FOODSCI.PURDUE.EDU
Fri Jan 20 17:11:14 EST 1995

In article <93508102105991.511748 at USA> polli~j at glaxo.com ("Joseph Polli") writes:

>    I have several suggestions depending on what the background
>problems are due to.  If background is all over the filter,
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                          No, it was due to the colonies

>  If background is
>due to bacterial colonies, have you tried blocking filters with
>free biotin, then wash, then block with strepavidin, and then
>another wash?  I hope this helps.
>Joe Polli
>Glaxo Research Institute

No, we didn't try that - thanks for the suggestion. Is this something that is
tried-and-true, or just a thoughtful suggestion?  We did try a method
suggested by Schleicher & Schuell after having seen a biotin-labelled colony
lift in their advertisement - after colony lifting, lysing, etc., a proteinase
K incubation of the filters and wiping with Kim-wipes, but it didn't work.
Regards, Peter
*  Peter M. Muriana, Ph.D.             317-494-8284   TEL            *
*  Dept. of Food Science               317-494-7953   FAX            *
*  Purdue University                   murianap at foodsci.purdue.edu   *
*  Smith Hall                                                        *
*  W. Lafayette, IN  47907-1160                                      *