Is Boehringer Mannheim the only supplier of Dig-labellin

John Nash nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca
Fri Jan 20 09:27:09 EST 1995

In article <71724191105991.503674 at usa>, Joseph Polli <polli~j at glaxo.com> wrote:

<prior DIG vs biotin posts deleted>

>Actually, we've obtained excellent results with biotin-labelling
>for most of our applications (Southern blots, using PCR to
>incorporate label, biotinylated oligos) except when performing
>**colony lifts**.  We posted this problem a while back to no

<snip>

>it is kind of a pain.  2) if background is due to bacterial
>colonies, have you tried blocking filters with free biotin, then
>wash, and then block with strepavidin, followed by another wash?
>I hope this helps.

Q: Doesn't E. coli contain heaps of free biotin?  That's what I've
been told, anyway - but that's in the realms of hearsay.

DIG is used quite a bit here at NRC for colony lifts, even after
site-specific mutagenesis, with nary a background problem.  My
esteemed colleague, Warren Wakarchuk (who is probably lurking here),
swears by it.

--
John Nash                       Institute for Biological Sciences      *
Email: nash at nrcbsa.bio.nrc.ca   National Research Council of Canada  * .*