Antibody "lending libraries" === Do They Exist?

U58563 at uicvm.uic.edu U58563 at uicvm.uic.edu
Sat Jan 21 17:00:39 EST 1995

  A postdoc in our lab has gotten tempted into a potentially very expensive
line of experimentation.  We have a kinase, it interacts with such-and-such a
molecule of such-and-such a size, so... maybe it's this one.  Let's try it.
No... how about THIS one.  or THIS one.  or...
   Getting all of these commercially in huge quantity for 1 experiment is
prohibitively expensive.  Asking every researcher under the sun for a little
bit of a few different antibodies gets ridiculously obnoxious.
   Sure, there are other ways to tackle the problem.  But none as easy as if
there were simply an Antibody Library.

   Imagine this:  You call up a place and arrange to get 5 ul of 50 different
antibodies that they keep in stock.  In exchange you send 500 ul of your own
antibody to something they don't have or are running out of.  Problem solved.
It's a lot easier than a 2-hybrid system!  Sure, a small cash payment for
shipping and the technician to aliquot 50 tubes might be needed, but not much.
   Of course, companies might object to such a practice and start "licensing"
their antibodies like software (maybe they might even enforce it, once).  But
most of us end up in possession of SOME antibody we made up ourselves, and
since that is most likely to be unique it is in the highest demand anyway.

This seemed likely enough that I'm posting here in hopes that someone already
did it or is trying to do it.  ANY information much appreciated.