FPLC systems

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sun Jan 22 11:16:20 EST 1995

David W. Plank (plank001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
> The niche for FPLC (Fast Protein Liquid Chromatography) is providing
> a highly accurate and reproducible system for running salt gradients (e.g.
> NaCl,(NH4)2SO4) in ion exchange chromatography (DEAE, CM, MonoQ, MonoS) or
> hydrophobic interaction chromatography (phenyl sepharose).  Using these
> salt buffers in your standard HPLC system will depassivate the stainless
> steel tubing and pump and eventually cause the system to breakdown from
> corrosion.

We run salt gradients in a HPLC system with Pharmacia columns and have
had no problems so far. We use Teflon tubing, and AFAIK the exposed areas
of the pump are also mainly covered with Teflon or something similar.

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */