Single primer PCR amplification??

Allen Gathman C741SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU
Mon Jan 23 18:11:05 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan20.210640.14826 at emba.uvm.edu> edahl at moose.uvm.edu (Eric N. Dahl) writes:

>This may be a stupid question... is it possible to amplify DNA using just
>one primer?  How difficult is it to get it to work?
>
>Thanks!
>

>.
>.

Sure, you can amplify using one primer; that's what RAPDs frequently
do.  The sequence to which the primer binds must occur twice, in
opposite orientation, within maybe 4 kb of each other, in your target
DNA.

Otherwise, you're not going to amplify the sequence, as it would only
be extended in one direction -- not much increase in number of your
desired sequence.

If your target is in a vector, you could use a flanking vector sequence
as one primer and a part of your specific desired sequence as the other.

|    Allen Gathman                |                                    |
|    Biology Department           |  Internet: C741SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU |
|    Southeast Missouri St. U.    |  Phone: (314) 651-2361             |
|    Cape Girardeau, MO 63701     |  Fax: (314) 651-2223               |
|    "Anyone would know that," said Dorothy.                           |
|    "Certainly; that is why I know it," returned the Scarecrow.  "If  |
|    it required brains to figure it out, I never should have said it."|
|    -L. Frank Baum                                                    |