Luciferase assay

Martin Leach leach at bu.edu
Tue Jan 24 11:16:30 EST 1995

In article <Reon.2.2F24AF0B at INFRUIT1.AGRIC.ZA>, Reon at INFRUIT1.AGRIC.ZA
(Reon Brand ) wrote:

> We need to perform a luciferase assay on extracts of transgenic plants
> expressing the Firefly luciferase gene.  We do not have access to a
> luminometer.  Any suggestions on which is the best kit to use (we've heard
> that Promega is marketing a new kit that includes co-enzymeA which improves
> the kinetics of the reaction)?  Also, which instruments apart from
> luminometers can be used for the assay (we've believe that scintillation
> counters can also be used)?
>
> Thanx for any forthcoming tips and suggestions.
>
> Reon Brand & Heinrich Muller

Hi there,

one person that would be good for you to talk to regarding transfenic
plants is Steve Kay...of Virginia (email: sak5y at virginia.edu) who works on
circadian rhythms in arabidopsis.

Regarding a detector...we use a scintillation counter that has an added
single photon monitor..the latter enabling us to measure lucif
activity...we obtained our machine from Beckmann.

ciao

Martin

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
p.s. try BioMOO (virtual biology on the internet - telnet
bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il 8888)
My home page: http://155.41.115.114/Leach.html