Distinguishing stringent from relaxed?

M.J. Pallen mbpln at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 13:57:40 EST 1995

I  am in the process of transduing a Tn10 relA mutation from one strain of
Salmonella into another. Does anyone have a handy way of scoring the
relA-negative phenotype, so that I can check that I really do have a relA
mutation in the second strain? Cahel & Rudd in Neidhardt's E. coli & S.
typhimurium book mention SMG medium. Is this the best way of
distinguishing stringent from relaxed strains?

Mark
Dr Mark Pallen, Senior Lecturer in Medical Microbiology,
St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College, London, EC1A 7BE
currently at the Dept of Biochemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY
email:m.pallen at ic.ac.uk
phone: day ++44(0)1715945254, eves ++44(0)1815057937, FAX ++44(0)1715945255
                            lag                   ellum
                             f   e               lag
       ecoliecoliecoliecoliecoli  l            mf
      cecoliecoliecoliecoliecolii  l          u
      eecoliecoliecoliecoliecolic   umf     ll
      coecoliecoliecoliecoliecoli      l  ge
       ecoliecoliecoliecoliecoli        a
         p                   f       fl g
        i                   l     lum   el
       l                     agel         lu
      u                                      mflagellum