Thermocyclers, Ericomp

Jon Nakamoto jnakamot at pediatrics.medsch.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 26 03:16:19 EST 1995

You can get a demo machine for a few days. Before settling on an
Ericomp SingleBlock (the 96 well/microplate model), I spent a week
using a demo Ericomp TwinBlock and an MJ Research PTC100-96V. I
liked both machines; what convinced me to go with Ericomp was the
included in-sample temperature probe and the 3-year warranty. Plus
their pricing is pretty aggressive. Also, I needed a machine in a
big hurry, and the West Coast rep (Chris Alvis) did me the huge
favor of getting me my cycler in record time (this reminds me that I
still owe him a thank you for letting me make some important
deadlines).

More to your point: What I liked about the TwinBlock I demo'd were:
(1) the in-sample temperature probe seemed to increase the
consistency of my reactions slightly (maybe this was wishful
thinking?); (2) having two separate blocks holding two different
tube sizes turned out to be more useful than I would've initially
imagined -- if I had had the money, I would've strongly considered a
two-block system. (3) programming was reasonably easy (still not
great, but a big step ahead of my old Coy). What I didn't like so
much was the noise level (the fans in the Twin are something else);
some minor quibbles with the fit and finish of things (there is a
screw in front of the block that pushes up the gasket and prevents
easy seating of a microplate without a bit of crimping.
Nevertheless, the machine did well enough, and I bought its little
brother and 4 months later am still pretty happy with it (by the
way, we're talking about the thermoelectric models here).

No connection with Ericomp and views are mine, not UCLA's, etc.,
etc,

Jon Nakamoto, MD
Clinical Instructor of Pediatrics/Endocrinology, UCLA
jnakamot at pediatrics.medsch.ucla.edu