Best E.coli strain(s) for GST-expression (re. minimum proteolysis)

Jeffrey Shane Temple jstemple at whale.st.usm.edu
Thu Jan 26 10:42:49 EST 1995

Jim Litts (jlitts at onyx-pharm.com) wrote:
: I have one particular protein that, when expressed as a GST-fusion protein,
: has a great deal more difficulty with degradation than others.  I was
: wondering what cell lines people are working with that might be useful for
: stabilizing such proteins, hopefully while still maintaining a reasonable
: level of expression.  Perhaps with endogenous protease deletions.  It seems
: I remember having some such lines several years back in another lab, but I
: can't find my records of them.  If you respond by Email, I will summarize
: and post the information.  Thanks.

: Jim
Jim,

I too am trying to express a protein in the GST system.  I haven't
actually expressed my protein yet, but I am almost to that point.  The
strain of cells that I am using is BL21.  They do have an extremely low
transformation efficiency but they are protease defficient. I believe that
is probably what you need.  Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Temple
Univ. of Southern MS
Dept of Chem/Biochem