Alkaline vs. High-salt transfer of Southerns

Mic Chaudoir mic at
Fri Jan 27 20:28:25 EST 1995

In article <stauth-250195110819 at>,
stauth at (Darren M. Stauth) wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone had any experience with transfering DNA by the
> alkaline method for Southern Hybridization and how it compares to
> high-salt(SSC) transfer.  Through various lab manuals I've learned that
> alkaline transfer onto charged nylon takes a shorter period of time(2hrs
> vs. overnight), binds DNA better(no need for UV crosslink), has higher
> background.  It seems superior to SSC method.  Any comments appreciated.

We use Alkaline transfer to Genescreen II.  Rules.  Go for it.

mic at
"It [PowerPC Mac] won't have any effect at all on Intel machines.
They will continue to plod along, running the same clunky Windows              and wretched DOS drivel they always have.  The PPC will affect Intel PCs the same way an SR-71 Blackbird affects a dairy cow."
                     Robert Rhode, in comp.sys.mac.advocacy