Acrylamide gels sitcks to plates

Michael Cooley szcooley at dale.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 31 12:23:26 EST 1995

Bjoern Voldborg (voldborg at biobase.dk) wrote:
: Dan Lasser (dml1 at columbia.edu) wrote:
: : I want to make an 8% acrylamide, 8M urea, 1x TBE sequencing gel.
: : Runs and pours well but sticks to glass plates and won't transfer to even
: : the best quality filter paper! This is despite siliconizing the opposite
: : plate and I even tried mildly siliconizing the "gel plate".

: : When I went down to 6% acrylamide, 6M urea, I got slight improvement but
: : still sticks and gel was trashed!

: : I never seemed to have had this problm before using LongRanger (Hydrolink)
: : acrylamide mix and 0.6X TBE (Nice but quite expensive).

: : Does someone have an idea what I am doing wrong?
: : How do I deal with this acrylamonster?

: Try and pour yuor gels, with both plates siliconated, and be very quick to transfer the gel after you have separated the glass plates. I have done this wiht even 13% acrylamide gels, and I had the same problem as you have, if I waited to long after sepa
rating the glass plates.

:                                     Good luck
:                                     Bjoern Voldborg
:                                     voldborg at biobase.dk

:

I recently have tried a new method to get the gel onto the paper. If you
wet the paper with water (completely saturated) you can get the gel to
stick better. It then requires more drying time, but its better than
ruining the gel.

#   Dr. Michael Cooley         Practice Random Kindness  %
%   mbcooley at ucdavis.edu    and Senseless Acts of Beauty #