controversy & ethics

Pierre Jelenc pcj1 at aloha.cc.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:07:51 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950130115156.5258B-100000 at rocky>,
Phandaal  <ez006804 at peseta.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>2) altering fatty acid metabolism in oil-crops (like canola) so that they
>produce oils found chiefly in palm and coconut could severely damage the
>palm oil and coconut oil industries in Third World countries... thus
>severely depressing the economies of these already struggling countries.

Why would anyone want to do such a moronic thing? Rapeseed oil (Canola) is
already one of the best in terms of fatty acid content (high in
monounsaturated, low in saturated acids), while the tropical oils are the
worst. Now, if someone were to engineer coconuts so that they contained
olein instead of saturated fats, I could go back to eating coconut curries!

Pierre