Acrylamide gels sitcks to plates

Lawrence P. Casson lpcasson at phoenix.princeton.edu
Sun Jan 29 16:10:08 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950126082953.23640B-100000 at merhaba.cc.columbia.edu>,
Dan Lasser  <dml1 at columbia.edu> wrote:

>Does someone have an idea what I am doing wrong?
>How do I deal with this acrylamonster?

Someone in my lab started having problems like this and claimed that
everything was unchanged from before.  It seems that everything included
the 10% ammonium persulfate solution.  When he made up a fresh stock,
the problem went away.  What was odd about it was that the acrylamide
was sufficiently polymerized that the sample was resolved into a
sequencing ladder, but not sufficiently polymerized that it would stick
only to one plate.  (We don't transfer to paper, but dry the gel onto
the plate and put the whole mess into a film casette.)

-Larry