E-mail address for EMBL submissions

Francis Ouellette francis at borduas.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Jan 30 23:59:04 EST 1995

> ajotsuka at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Anthony Otsuka) wrote:

> > For some strange reason the Journal of Cell Biology requires
> > submission of sequences to the EMBL data bank.  Please
> > inform me of the appropriate e-mail address and format
> > to provide DNA sequence data to EMBL.  The EMBNet computer
> > "felix" is apparently not accessible to me.  Thanks
> > for the help. ajotsuka at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu

This actually not true anymore ... You can get your accession number from
which ever database you want, and this is true for all Journals. You
get your accession number from which ever datbase you want to work with,
or is more conveniant for you.  In the distant past, in the dawn of sequence
submission, there was a Journal split -- some journals required accession
numbers from certain database -- this is no longer true!

Now you need only one accession number from one database, and that number
will hold (will be the same) in all databases, as we exchange data among
each other, on a daily basis.

entirely correct, and she also said:

> The addresses for submission are included in the handbook, but here they
> are anyway:
> GenBank: gb-sub at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov  Tel: (301) 402-1301
> EMBL: datasub at embl-heidelberg.de  Tel: +49 6221 387 258

Your book is a bit out of date, the GenBank address is correct, but EMBL
is now at:

datasub at ebi.ac.uk

and the third member of the International Consiortium of DNA sequence
databases is DDBJ, and sequences submitted there (if it is more conveniant
for you) will also end up in GenBank and EMBL databases.  Their address

ddbjsub at ddbj.nig.ac.jp