How to import MD PhosphorImager images?

John M. Garrison 74222.3137 at CompuServe.COM
Wed Jul 5 08:32:07 EST 1995

jkortes at (Jarkko Kortesmaa) writes:
>>Is is possible to export images from the ImageQuaNT program of
>>Dynamics PhosphorImager?

The Molecular Dynamics PhosphorImager (like all Molecular
Dynamics scanners) uses a standard 16-bit TIFF file.  Even though
this is an "industry-standard" file, it is not supported by many
other software programs.  Most programs will only accept 8 bit
and 24 bit TIFF's.  (A 24 bit TIFF is really 8 bit TIFF x 3 color
channels, while a 16 bit TIFF is 16 bits in one greyscale

Molecular Dynamics provides a utility called Convert 16 to 8
which allows you to make an 8 bit representation of a 16 bit TIFF
and save it as a new file.  Since your monitor is an 8 bit
greyscale display anyway, you will not see a visual difference.
However, the new file will be 1/2 the file size and will not be
as accurate for quantitation.  This 8 bit TIFF can be opened by
Word, Excel, Photostyler, and Corel draw, to name a few.
Depending on your software version, the utility will be built
into ImageQuant or bundled with it.  Please e-mail me with more
specifics if you need more help.
specifics if you need more help.
specifics if you need more help.

John M. Garrison
jgarrison at
Molecular Dynamics
(my opinions are solely my own - but they're correct)