5-FOA solubility

Andrei Popov ANDREI.POPOV at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 15:59:17 EST 1995

>We are using FOA (5-floroorotic acid) for selection against URA-3 plasmids
>in yeast.  FOA is expensive to buy and difficult to get into solution.
>Does anyone know of a non-toxic solvent (such as DMSO) in which a stable
>100X FOA stock solution can be made?

I remember once dissolving 5-FOA in water titrated with NaOH. The stuff
dissolved and I used to spread it on agar plates.
By the way, you might have a look at Yeast (1991) vol7:607.
Proline causes hypersensitivity to 5-FOA, and you can save a bit
of money on it. There was also a posting (bionet.molbio.yeast)
a couple of weeks ago by one canadian company which
offered very cheap 5-FOA.

regards

Andrei