Coomassie related question

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Sat Jul 8 13:33:12 EST 1995

 In article <3ti5sc$jsu at usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>
 ellenmq at ucs.indiana.edu ( ) writes:

> The difference between Coomassie R250 and G250 in terms of staining is
> that R250 is a more sensitive stain.
>
> It is available from BioRad, or Sigma Chemical company among others.
>
> -Ellen

The difference in molecular structure is a single methyl group added to one of
the phenyl rings of G250 to make R250.  The Fluka catalog has the structures of
these under Coomassie Brilliant Blue. If you are interested in why R250 is 5-10
fold more sensitive in detecting proteins, I think this reference should help:

@article{Compton1985,
author = "S. J. Compton
     and C. G. Jones",
title = "Mechanisms of dye response and interference
in the bradford protein assay",
journal = "Anal. Biochem.",
volume = "151",
pages = "369-374",
comment = "mechanism of Coomassie Blue interaction with proteins",
year = "1985"}