PCR cloning

Edward Wang ez022056 at dale.ucdavis.edu
Sun Jul 9 21:58:54 EST 1995

ellenmq at ucs.indiana.edu wrote:
: Junhyong (junhyong_kim at quickmail.cis.yale.edu) wrote:
: : Hi,

: : I heard somewhere that there are now other commercial T-tailed vectors
: : available for PCR product cloning than TA-cloning kit from Invitrogen.
: : Has anybody tried others? Is it cheaper?

: : We tried making some but the results are rather variable...

: We've used Novagen's T7-Blue TA cloning vector with good success. You
: don't need the "kit" just buy the vector which makes it less expensive.
: They recommend using  NovaBlue E.coli which has the same genotype as
: Stratagene's XL1-Blue cells. It's not necessary to use that particular
: E.coli strain, in fact we used a regular cloning strain of E.coli called
: DH11SF' available commercially from Gibco/BRL Life technologies.
: Alternatively standard DH5alpha cells should also be fine for propagation.
: You can check out Novagen's www site at this address: http://www.novagen.com/
: for more information on this vector if you have a Web browser like Netscape
: available to you; they have both their catalog, vector sequences and
: plasmid maps available.

: -Ellen Quardokus, Indiana University, Dept. of Biology

Promega makes a kit that is significantly cheaper then Invitrogen.  I
believe the kit is called p-Gem system
 --
Edward H. Wang                 *